In a shocking development, Brett Favre apparently will not play this season.
Reports say that Favre has informed several Vikings players that he will not be joining them this season. It is not clear if he has told the team whether he plans to honor the second year of a two-year contract that would pay him $13 million this season if he played.
Favre, who turns 41 on Oct. 10, apparently sent text messages to several teammates saying, "This is it."
Although neither the team nor Bus Cook, Favre's agent, has confirmed the reports, a press conference has been called for Tuesday.
Last season, Favre told the Vikings he would join the team right after the completion of training camp and arrived at the team's Eden Prairie, Minn., facility with a circus of attention. Many assumed he would return in a similar fashion this year. He had been working out at his home in Hattiesburg, Miss.
Favre had a marvelous season in 2009, coming out of retirement to take the Vikings all the way to the NFC title game. But the Vikings lost, with Favre getting intercepted in overtime, and he suffered a beating in the game.
One of the injuries he suffered in the game, an ankle that required surgery this offseason, apparently has not healed enough for Favre to continue playing in a 20th season.
The Vikings now likely would turn to Tarvaris Jackson, although Sage Rosenfels also has starting experience and could vie for the job.
This marks the third time Favre has announced his retirement, first with the Packers following the 2007 season and then again after one season with the Jets in '08.
For authoritative coverage and analysis of NFL news, free agency and fantasy football, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.