McNabb: Contract extension will take care of itself

Recent posts by Eric Edholm

Reese: Giants' Tuck wants to regain form

Posted Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:26 a.m.

Chiefs' Dorsey eyes '333 players' for first pick

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 4:33 p.m.

Caldwell might be starting fresh in Jacksonville

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:17 p.m.

Eagles release CB Asomugha

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

Philadelphia Eagles: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:38 p.m.

Former NFL WR Mitchell pleads guilty in tax scheme

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:35 p.m.

Eagles release DT Jenkins

Posted Feb. 25, 2013 @ 2:09 p.m.

Reid: Chiefs open to trading top pick

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:34 p.m.

Eagles' Kelly supports Foles, hazy on Asomugha

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:32 p.m.

Foles still very much in Eagles' plans

Posted Feb. 16, 2013 @ 1:29 p.m.

Eagles sign QB Dixon

Posted Feb. 14, 2013 @ 3:11 p.m.

Buccaneers sign P Henry

Posted Feb. 13, 2013 @ 2:30 p.m.
Posted June 08, 2010 @ 3:49 p.m. ET
By Eric Edholm

In an interview with PFW, Redskins QB Donovan McNabb said he feels no rush to get an extension with his new team.

“At this particular point I am not really focused on that. I am really just trying to get settled in as a Redskin,” McNabb said by telephone. “We have an opportunity to do it, but everything will take care of itself.”

There has been speculation that he and the Redskins soon will begin discussing extending his deal, which runs out after this season. NFL rules prohibit players from renegotiating the same contract twice within a one-year span, so the soonest anything could happen would be June 12. That will be one year from the day he and the Eagles agreed on a new contract that paid him more money but did not extend his contract any further. McNabb was traded from the Eagles to the Redskins for draft picks this offseason on Easter day.

McNabb said that he has enjoyed his brief time with the team and hopes the marriage will be successful. As for what might happen beyond this season, he just hopes to make a good first impression.

“I just want to make sure that Daniel Snyder and Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen, that those guys are comfortable with me as their quarterback and the things we are going to be able to do,” he said.

McNabb also said he is making sure not to ruffle feathers with his new teammates with a lot of capaigning for a new contract.

“If it happens that I am able to be extended (with the Redskins) for a long period of time, that’s great,” he said. “But I can’t be walking around saying, ‘I need this’ or ‘I need that.’ Everything will be fine.”

The NFL is entering a tricky time with the salary cap currently gone and the league's economic future up in the air. On the negative side for McNabb's renegotiation efforts, teams have appeared reluctant this offseason to extend players long term without knowing how negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the players' union will go. But on the positive side, there are several other high-profile quarterbacks — including Peyton Manning and Tom Brady — heading into the final years of their deals, which could jump-start the market and help set the going rate for McNabb.

“I have one more year left on my deal. There are a lot of guys with one year left. I am in great company,” McNabb said. “Peyton and Tom (have one year left), and now (the Saints) are talking about redoing Drew Brees’ deal. I am in pretty good company, if you ask me.”

Expect the Redskins and McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, to engage in preliminary discussions once the team's OTAs and minicamps conclude on June 18.

McNabb has a base salary of $5 million for this season.