Roethlisberger vows to make 'improvements' after suspension

Browns strike early, sign Kruger

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:23 p.m.

Dolphins land WR Wallace

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:13 p.m.

Steelers part ways with OLB Harrison

Posted March 09, 2013 @ 12:40 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 7:07 p.m.

Steelers sign CB Gay

Posted March 04, 2013 @ 12:05 p.m.

Steelers restructure Roethlisberger's contract

Posted Feb. 28, 2013 @ 12:14 p.m.

Steelers hire Bicknell Jr. as O-line coach

Posted Jan. 29, 2013 @ 5:28 p.m.

Steelers' backfield could be blown up

Posted Jan. 20, 2013 @ 1:24 p.m.

NFL transactions for January 19, 2013

Posted Jan. 19, 2013 @ 6:16 p.m.

NFL transactions for January 18, 2013

Posted Jan. 18, 2013 @ 5:15 p.m.
Posted April 26, 2010 @ 2:36 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said Monday that he is "accountable for the consequences of my actions" and will not appeal the six-game suspension handed down by the NFL last week for violating its personal-conduct policy.

In a three-paragraph statement released by the team, Roethlisberger said commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to suspend him "speaks clearly that more is expected of me."

Georgia authorities cleared Roethlisberger in April in connection with an alleged sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga., in March. However, Goodell, noting that "there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans," suspended Roethlisberger last week and ordered him to undergo "comprehensive behavioral evaluation" by medical professionals.

"Though I have committed no crime, I regret that I have fallen short of the values instilled in me by my family," Roethlisberger said Monday. "I will not appeal the suspension and will comply with what is asked of me — and more."

Roethlisberger, noting that missing games "will be devastating for me," apologized to his teammates and Steelers fans.

"I am sorry to let down my teammates and the entire Steelers fan base," he said. "I am disappointed that I have reached this point and will not put myself in this situation again.

"I appreciate the opportunities that I have been given in my life and will make the necessary improvements."

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.