New LB Diggs figures to start somewhere for Rams

Dan Arkush

darkush@pfwmedia.com
Executive editor

Recent posts by Dan Arkush

Baylor WR Williams in first-round conversation

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 2:26 p.m.

Thompson: Packers not worried about leadership void

Posted Feb. 22, 2013 @ 12:26 p.m.

Seahawks GM likes 'win-win' QB situation

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 6:53 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Packers RB Harris looks like a real keeper

Posted Jan. 11, 2013 @ 1:32 p.m.

St. Louis Rams: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 9:23 p.m.

Old-school Arians feeling young at heart

Posted Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:51 p.m.

Rams place Titus Young on waivers

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 @ 3:49 p.m.

Rams claim former Lions WR Young

Posted Feb. 05, 2013 @ 4:43 p.m.

Uncertainty over home dome remains for Rams

Posted Feb. 04, 2013 @ 2:20 p.m.

Rams will not hire Rob Ryan

Posted Jan. 29, 2013 @ 12:07 p.m.

Report: Rams hire Rob Ryan

Posted Jan. 24, 2013 @ 7:18 p.m.

Niners' faith in Justin Smith remains strong for now

Posted Jan. 10, 2013 @ 3:31 p.m.
Posted April 08, 2010 @ 2:22 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

As had been expected for a few weeks now, the Rams finally signed former Packers and Panthers OLB Na'il Diggs, who worked under Rams defensive coordinator Ken Flajole for three years in Carolina when Flajole was the Panthers' LB coach. While it remains to be seen whether the 31-year-old Diggs, who will be entering his 11th NFL season, will play on the weak side or strong side, we hear the odds are strong that he will be starting at one of those positions for the Rams and filling a valuable veteran leadership role, which is something he said he is really looking forward to.

"I definitely embrace it," Diggs said in a conference call. "I've seen a lot of leaders. When I first got in the league with Green Bay, I had great leaders. I think they set the stage up for me the rest of my career … Just by me observing these guys, I learned skills and behavioral traits that carried me throughout the league. It's something that's kind of like parenting a little bit. We're all kind of products of our parents' behavior."

Diggs indicated that he thought the Rams might want to start him out filling the strong-side "Sam" role, but we hear it's quite possible that he will end up filling the "Will" role on the other side in a LB corps that could also include former Ohio State alums James Laurinaitis in the middle and possibly Larry Grant on the strong side. "It'll be a LB corps full of Buckeyes, which is always a good, successful chemistry to have," Diggs said. "I haven't met those guys yet, but I've heard a lot about them. I've heard they're great guys and good players, too."

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.