Giants tab Fewell as defensive coordinator

Giants sign OG Boothe; line returns for '13

Posted March 25, 2013 @ 2:25 p.m.

TE Bennett says he's a Bear

Posted March 12, 2013 @ 5:14 p.m.

New York Giants: 2013 team needs

Posted March 08, 2013 @ 6:20 p.m.

Chicago Bears: 2013 team needs

Posted March 06, 2013 @ 11:51 a.m.

Bears DT Melton receives franchise tag

Posted March 01, 2013 @ 9:15 p.m.

Giants re-sign OT Beatty

Posted Feb. 27, 2013 @ 3:19 p.m.

Bears OT Webb arrested on drug charges

Posted Feb. 27, 2013 @ 3:15 p.m.

Giants owner's nephew arrested in Conn.

Posted Feb. 25, 2013 @ 3:31 p.m.

Reese: Giants' Tuck wants to regain form

Posted Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:26 a.m.
Posted Jan. 14, 2010 @ 6:29 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The Giants announced Thursday they have named Perry Fewell their defensive coordinator.

Fewell appeared to be the favorite to land the Bears' coordinator position, but he chose to reunite with Giants head coach Tom Coughlin. The two coached together in Jacksonville for five years, when Coughlin was the Jaguars' head coach and Fewell coached the secondary.

"I expect Perry to bring the same qualities that I expect from myself," Coughlin said. "I want him to be firm, fair, honest and demanding. My expectation is that he will solidify and unify our defense and be an outstanding teacher. I want energy, enthusiasm, toughness and to make the necessary corrections and game adjustments.

"Perry is a teacher and a leader and I thought he did an outstanding job of displaying great leadership as the interim head coach of Buffalo this season."

After spending the past four seasons as the Bills' defensive coordinator and interim head coach, Fewell and the rest of the Bills' coaching staff was let go. Fewell was named to replace Dick Jauron, who was fired in midseason, and compiled a 3-4 mark in his place.

The Giants fired Bill Sheridan after one year in the position. The Giants allowed a stunning 427 points this season, third-worst among NFL teams.

Fewell said he was happy to join a team with so much talent and a reputation for defense.

"I am ecstatic to come to work for the New York Giants," Fewell said. "It's a good football team with good defensive players, and it is a franchise known for defense."

He described his defensive approach as "disciplined, attacking, aggressive, 11 hats to the football."

Fewell had coached the Bears' defensive backs under Lovie Smith, which is why many people assumed he might return to Chicago. It turned out to be a reunion with a different coach from further back.